Form of Government
Full-time, salaried (set by City Council). Elected to 4-year term, no limit on number of terms. Must be a registered voter, live in the city limits, must be at least 18 years old or older and have no felony convictions.
- Chief executive of the city - sees that the wheels of government keep turning, laws are enforced, and taxpayers get full value for their taxes
- While not a legislator, the Mayor has a great deal of influence in the passage of legislation
- The Mayor presides over council meetings
- The Mayor votes if a vote is needed to pass any ordinance, resolution or motion
- The Mayor also has veto power. Delivers annual "State of the City" address
- Prepares and administers municipal budget
- Recommends appointments to commissions and boards which are then confirmed by the City Council
- Hires and / or fires department heads
- Performs marriages
- Signs all city documents
- Lobbies on behalf of the city to support or help defeat federal or state legislation affecting cities
- Promotes economic development of the private sector
Elected at-large, but representing wards. Two members from each ward. Members must live in the ward they represent, otherwise same qualifications as Mayor. Part-time. Two regularly scheduled council meetings per month.
Enacts laws (ordinances) for the health, safety and welfare of the city not in conflict with the United States or State Constitution.
Elected to 4-year terms. Part-time. Same qualifications as Mayor.
Custodian of all city records and ordinances. Takes minutes of City Council meetings.
Elected to 4-year terms. Part-time salaried position that is set by the City Council. Must be a licensed attorney, otherwise same qualifications as Mayor.
City legal officer
All are hired employees possessing particular qualifications for each job. Full-time and salaried.
- Community Development Director
- Director of Finance and Administration
- Engineering Director
- Fire Chief
- Library Director
- Parks and Recreation Director
- Police Chief
- Public Works Director
- Staff Attorney
- Transportation Director
- Building Inspection
- City Attorney
- District Court
- Fire / Ambulance
- Parks and Recreation
- Planning / Code Enforcement
- Public Works